The eye-opening statistics and facts about contractors, freelancers and independent workers in the UK offer more than a fair share of reasons for us to take a moment and applaud their often undervalued contribution.
For those who didn't know already, Thursday is that very day of recognition. This Thursday 9th June marks National Freelancers Day 2016 (known in the hashtag world is #NFD16). It's all punctuated by an event hosted by IPSE in Covent Garden.
Keen to celebrate on Thursday? Whether you are or aren't, we'd like to share some reasons as to why you should be encouraged as a contractor. Here are three important facts about contractors and freelancers to keep in mind as you celebrate in person, on Facebook and/or on Twitter:
- Contractors generated £109bn for the UK economy in 2015 1
- Government figures from Q4 2015-16 show the number of self-employed rose by 182,000 compared with Q4 2015 2
- Temporary worker pay rose in May 2016 at the fastest pace since July 2007 3
For those that prefer a nice visual, feel free to share these facts to the #NFD16 hashtag-o-sphere via the images below:
The big takeaway from all of this is that UK business is clearly latching on to contractors as a solution, irrespective of reasons. So whatever you do for a living, it's becoming clear that the time to be a contractor could not be better.
Whether you want to join our umbrella solution, establish your own limited company with ClearSky, or just need some guidance on which option would be most suitable for you, give our team a call on 0800 458 0818 now or arrange a callback for a time that suits you.
1. IPSE, as reported in Startups.co.uk: "Freelancers contribute £109bn to the UK economy"
2. ONS, as reported in Shout99: "Growing army of self-employed good news for UK economy"
3. REC: "Report on Jobs: Permanent placements growth at seven-month low, but temp billings rise at faster rate"